Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Independence Visitor Center, National Constitution Center, and the Liberty Bell

We began by walking down Market Street and checking out the Independence Visitor Center. We were able to learn about some of the local sites, the kids enjoyed seeing the workers in 1700s garb knitting, drawing, playing, and strolling about! We then made our way over to the Liberty Bell across the street. My soon to be 6 year old wanted to see every document there. He had learned about the bell this past year in kindergarten and was very excited! He even stood through what was probably a 10 to 15 minute short film on the history of the bell from it's creation through "today". I know he was paying attention because he later asked me about slavery, women's suffrage, and the Vietnam war! Heavy topics for a 6 year old! My wife and I did our best. My 2 1/2 year old was also in good spirits as we strolled her through. When we finally saw the bell, my son was a little disappointed in its size- I think he was expecting something HUGE! :)

We then walked through the park area near the Visitor Center to the National Constitution Center. Not the best place for such young kids. Perhaps we'll go again when they are a bit older. I'd stay away until they are about 8-10?

No comments:

Post a Comment