Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Philadelphia- Franklin's Fountain

I heard about Franklin's Fountain, an ice cream shop on Market Street, from a family member that lived in South Jersey and went to college in Philadelphia. I looked it up on Yelp and saw the great reviews. As we were in the area, and it was a HOT day, we thought it would be nice to grab some ice cream. We could have stopped at a couple of other places on our walk down Market, but i wanted to try this place! I'm happy to say we all loved our ice creams. The place is pricey... 8 or 9 bucks (forget) for a sundae! But the ice cream and hot fudge were delicious.

Unfortunately, the service left something to be desired. A young woman served us and not once cracked a smile or offered a pleasant word. Even my 6 year old noticed this- he asked me why she looked upset. I said maybe she had a bad day. After ordering 3 ice creams... ~$25, I asked for a glass of ice water. I saw someone else get one three people ahead of me from the other server and being that it was so hot out, I asked for the same. My server said "there is a fountain outside with cups near it." I said ok, because i couldn't hold the glass anyway and would have needed to take another trip. I got to the fountain outside and filled a cup. It was hot out and the water was warm. I went back in and asked my same server for a glass of ice water. Her response was, "didn't you see the fountain?" I told her the water was warm, to which she responded, "you didn't let it run enough." I said, "I'll take a glass of ice water please, to go with my $25 in ice cream." With the same sour look on her face she made me the water. Unfortunate that some employees leave a bad taste in your mouth!

Over all Franklin's Fountain is a 4 out of 5 for taste and value (yeh, it's expensive, but it's delicious).... BUT a 1 out of 5 for service! When I go back to Philly I may stop back again... maybe I can talk about how great the service was??

1 comment:

  1. Ice Cream has become so expensive. That being said, FF is one great ice cream parlor. I take my kids a couple of times a summer as we live just outside of Philadelphia. There is a tall, thin girl that works there who always has a sour look on her face- probably her!

    ReplyDelete